Top Ten Reasons Jian Ghomeshi should visit Oshawa
10. It’s just 35km from Toronto. It’ll only use up a small portion of Q’s travel budget.
9. Everyone already knows about Hamilton, London, Stratford, Guelph and Kingston. What do people know about Oshawa? If your answer involves anything to do with cars, it doesn’t count.
8. Oshawhat!? magazine, Durham’s “Village Voice” or “Now Magazine” is launching and it needs a cover story.
7. Parkwood Mansion is here. They filmed Billy Madison and X Men there. Plus it’s super pretty and a national monument. But…BILLY MADISON!!
6. Because Jian and us have one friend in common on facebook and we didn’t ask her to ask him for us. We respect boundaries.
5. Our downtown core is being revitalized. UOIT (University of Ontario Institute of Technology for you non-locals) has set up shop and has renovated two beautiful historic buildings, the Regent Theatre and the Alger Press. They are really great examples of what historians and architects and universities can do if they all get together in one room. UOIT is a diverse university with students from over 65 countries, but we also have Durham College and Trent University in Oshawa, with a student population projected to reach 22,500 within the next three years. Oh, and Queen’s University is setting up shop too.
4. We’ve got a bad reputation. We don’t have the Bard or the Beibs like Stratford. (In fact, what Shakespeare we do have, we take on the road with the Bard’s Bus tour by the Driftwood Theatre Company). We don’t have Margaret Atwood. We don’t have Sarah Harmer. Actually, we’re very punk rock and a lot of our arts events are grassroots, not for profit, unsponsored and totally local-focused. Oshawa is the unexpected and controversial choice.
3. The Robert McLaughlin Gallery’s First Fridays event series is the coolest thing happening in Durham Region right now. Bands play, artists make stuff, photos get taken, people drink beer, sometimes even dance crews show up and breakdance. All of this in a gallery that houses thousands of masterpieces of Canadian modern and contemporary art. It’s shwasome.
2. Speaking of live music; our music scene rules. Cuff the Duke, Diamond Rings, Timber Timbre, Anagram, Steppenwolf, Blue Rodeo, Hairy Holler, The Stellas, Forest City Lovers, Viva Mars, The Marvelous Beauhunks, The Purple Toads, Volcano Playground, Evening Hymns, Lori Yates, Bradley Boy, Sunbear, Durango 95, K-os, Patrick Dorie, Reign Ghost and The Stables all have ties here. (And if they don’t in your view, well…too bad. We’re claiming them anyhow, ‘cause we’re punk rock like that.) Meanwhile we have an independent record label (Get Bent Records) and an independent vinyl shop (Star Records) in town. We’ve got so many talented musicians here, we’ve probably missed some on this list.
1. We’re Shwasome. Calling us “the shwa” or the “dirty shwa” is soooooo 2001.
JOIN the campaign!! Like –> www.facebook.com/QinOshawa